Visit Fort William, Glen Nevis and Ben Nevis in the Outdoor Capital of the UK
Fort William Schools And Colleges
Information about schools and colleges in Fort William and Lochaber
Ardnamurchan High School
Drimnatorran, Strontian, PH36 4JA
Headteacher: Christopher Millar-Craig
Ardnamurchan High School is Highland Region’s newest high school. Opening for the first time in 2002, it services the remote and rural communities of Ardnamurchan, Morven, and Moidart. One of the region’s “21st Century Schools”, Ardnamurchan High has excellent information technology resources, as well as a modern purpose built school. With 130 pupils (May 2007) pupils benefit from smaller than average class sizes, more teacher contact, and a curriculum that is tailored to their individual needs from ages 11 to 18. The school has a team of 17 teaching staff, serving the pupils, and the community. The school is also a new community school, and under the banner of “The Sunart Centre” is a focal point for a wide range of community based events.
Associated Primary Schools:
- Acharacle Primary
- Achaphubuil Primary
- Ardgour Primary
- Lochaline Primary
- Strontian Primary
- Kilchoan Primary
Ardnamurchan High School and the Sunart Centre have the following key features:
- Excellent ICT resources
- Smaller than average class sizes
- Community Library
- New Community School
- All weather sporting facilities
Lochaber High School
Camaghael, Fort William, Inverness-shire, PH33 7ND
Head Teacher: Mr Jim Sutherland
Lochaber High School is the six-year comprehensive school which serves the town of Fort William and the greater Lochaber area. The school roll is aound 800 pupils. The school stands in spectacular surroundings to the north of Fort William at the foot of Ben Nevis.
The school building is spacious and well equipped with Science laboratories recently refurbished and upgraded to give a state-of–the-art facility. Modern technology is used extensively throughout the school with many computers installed and networked. There is also a modern support base for pupils with additional support needs, a well-stocked school library, a fitness suite and an all-weather pitch. An £11.7 million refurbishment and rebuilding programme – ‘Lochaber 21’ – will see the school building brought up to 21st century standards during the course of the next few years. The school’s facilities are used extensively by community groups.
Associated Primary Schools:
- Achaphubuil Primary
- Fort William
- Fort William RC
- Lochyside RC
- Roy Bridge
- Spean Bridge
- St Bride’s
- Upper Achintore
Mallaig High School
Mallaig, Inverness-shire PH41 4RG
Headteacher: Mr Martin Sullivan
Mallaig High School is a relatively new secondary school, opened in 1989. It serves the communities of Mallaig, Morar, Arisaig, Lochailort, the Small Isles & Knoydart.
Associated primary schools:
- Arisaig Primary school
- Canna Primary School
- Eigg Primary School
- Inverie Primary School
- Lady Lovat Primary School (Morar)
- Mallaig Primary School
- Muck Primary School
- Rum Primary School
Most pupils are within daily travelling distance of the High School. However, an increasing number of pupils from Eigg, Rum, Canna, Muck and Inverie require to be boarded in lodgings.
The present roll is 140 and the school is has 20 teachers.
The school offers a good range of subjects for its size – 18 S Grades & 17 S4/5/6 courses at levels from Access to Advanced Higher. Pupils begin S Grade in S2 and are presented for examination at the end of S3.
Kinlochleven High School
Fort William Road, Kinlochleven, PH50 4QE
Kinlochleven High School is an integrated campus with Kinlochleven primary school offering a learning environment for pupils of all ages. A new 21st Century school is currently under construction and is due to open in August 2008. The current secondary roll sits at 129 with a staff of 17.3 FTE.
Associated Primary Schools:
Kinlochleven High School contributes to a unique focus for the local community in that the joint campus provides a single venue for pupil and parental activity. Provision includes:
- Community leisure centre (adjacent to the new build)
- Welcoming and inclusive ethos created by pupils and staff
- Library for pupil use
- Strong community links
- Supportive School Board and PTFA
- House of Clan Jamfrie - whisky, art, giftsOne of Fort William's specialist retail gift shops - we have lots of quality souvenirs and a great selection of Scotch whisky - in miniature bottles, which make great gifts. Our art gallery has a selection of Highland paintings and photographs both framed or unframed. We have lots of quality Highland garments for cold and wet weather, so please come in and browse when you are in town.Clan Jamfrie was established...
- Off Beat BikesDiscover the best of Fort William by bike! Book a quality mountain bike to enjoy great off road routes suitable for all ages and abilities.Call in to the shop on the High Street, Fort William or book online.Lots of cycle, running and outdoor swimming clothing in store along with friendly staff who can help with great route ideas and advice....
- The Granite HouseTHE GRANITE HOUSE on Fort William High Street has been serving locals and visitors with the very best gifts since 1977. From our early days as a small souvenir store we have expanded to 8 departments over 2 floors.Traditional & contemporary jewellery from Scottish and International designersWatches from STORM, ICE, TIMEX, CASIO, LORUS and others. Plus a strap & Battery fitting serviceCollectable Giftware and functional ceramics from ENESCO, PORTMIERION, LSA, HIGHLAND...
You may be interested in
- Fort William Fishing Tackle Shop36 High Street, Fort William, PH33 6AT
Our Fort William fishing tackle shop provides a range of rods, lures and reels. We stock live worms plus selection of frozen bait. Trout and salmon flies available. We can also provide fishing permits and have a Lochaber Fishing Guide + things to do booklet.The shop also stocks a wide range...
- Nevisport - outdoor sports and clothing specialistsNevisport, Airds Crossing, Fort William, PH33 6EJ
Outdoor mountain ShopThe adventure starts here. You'll find the wildest and best selection of outdoor gear anywhere. Whether you are an outdoor expert, novice or just need something to wear we have it! With trained staff to offer you unbeatable service and expert advice on Outdoor, Mountain and Snowsport Equipment and...
- M&Co Retail Fashion & ClothingAirds Crossing, 2 High Street, Fort William, PH33 6EU
M&Co’s exciting new Spring/Summer collections are now in-store. Taking inspiration from the not only the catwalks, but also listening to what you want, we have everything you would need to create your own capsule wardrobe for the winter months to come. With ladies clothes available in sizes 8-28, our store on...
- Nevis BakeryUnits 3 & 4 Annat Industrial Estate, Corpach, Fort William, PH33 7NA
Established for over 25 years, Nevis Bakery is an award winning family run bakery. Standing on the shores of Loch Lihnnie under the shadow of Ben Nevis, the bakery produces a range of high quality cakes and biscuits. Over recent years, demand for our products has grown significantly and we can...
- The Highland Soap Co.®The Highland Soap Company, 48 High Street, Fort William, PH33 6AH
One of Fort William's very specialist shops offering Scottish handmade soaps and natural skin care.Our cold-processed soaps are handmade in the Scottish Highlands by century’s old traditional processes using only the purest and finest natural ingredients. With many of the precious oils, butters and plant ingredients used being grown organically or...
from the High Street
near the Moorings Hotel
on Loch Linnhe
an unusual aerial view
the perfect escape to the Outdoor Capital
on the Road to the Isles route
and the West Highland Museum