Wild West - wildlife safari trips
Wild West offer a selection of wildlife experiences based in the Lochaber area. See Scotland's " Big Five", Photograph red deer, join a searchlight safari to look for the elusive pine marten or a dawn safari to see lekking black grouse, or book your own bespoke safari and we will tailor it to your requirements. The following is a selection of safaris available with Wild West.
The Big Five
Scotland’s big five of golden eagle, red deer, red squirrel, otter and harbour seal can all be found within 25 miles of Fort William and on this safari it’s possible to see them all on the same day.
The Wednesday trip includes a 2 hour cruise on Loch Shiel, taking you into the heart of some of Scotland’s wildest country. Cruises/boat trips can be included in full day safaris on other days, by request.
- Wednesday trip with cruise. Adults £85.00, Child £50.00
- Other days, no cruise Adults £69.00 Child £42.00
Wild West guide Ian MacLeod is an experienced semi professional photographer. Red deer photo safaris are a speciality with groups of deer gathering close to the roads in quiet glens over the winter, with spectacular backdrops. Safaris to photograph other species, or landscapes can also be arranges. All photo safaris are offered on a private basis.
Cost: £40.00 per hour, minimum of four hours
Below are a selection of photography safaris available from Wild West:
In winter the huge herds of red deer in the highlands descend from the high tops to the glens to seek shelter from the severe weather at high altitude. Many of the estates provide supplementary feeding for the animals, ensuring their survival and maintaining strong populations. This attracts the deer to return regularly to given locations. Your guide Ian MacLeod knows all the best spots not only to find and photograph the deer but also to ensure the best backdrops and light for given locations.
For those just looking for a taster in wildlife watching close to their base Wild West offer a selection of half day trips to various destinations around Fort William and Lochaber. We’ll recommend the best 1/2day trip for you and your party based on season, recent wildlife activity and where you are staying to give you the best experience for your short trip. Trips last 3.5 - 4 hours
Cost: Adult £37.00, under 16 £22.00
Below is a selection of short safaris available with Wild West:
From late September until the end of October one of the highlights of the wildlife calendar, the red deer rut takes place. During this period the stags compete to mate with groups of hinds in a testosterone charged spectacle. Rut safaris are available daily throughout this period with the option of a dawn trip to catch the best of the action.
Red deer can be found on the mountains of Scotland throughout the year and on these trips we’ll be looking for the UK’s largest land mammal. In the summer months they are high up in the mountains however it is a rare trip that we can’t find a few animals in the high corries.
Whether you want to pursue species on a target list, celebrate a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary, photograph a specific species or location or simply benefit from a lower rate for a group, a Wild West bespoke trip is for you. Any of the trips listed on the site can be booked as a Bespoke trip, or you can tailor your own. Bespoke trips normally include collection from local accommodation. Supplementary charge may apply if collection from further afield is required.
Cost: £40.00 per hour, minimum of four hours
As the sun goes down the creatures of the night awake to hunt and forage in the darkness. The main target of this trip is that most elusive of Scottish mammals the pine marten. We’ll also go looking for bats, red and roe deer as well as owls. Before the sun disappears, otters may be active at the river mouth and at certain times of year we can expect to find black grouse lekking in the evening.
Cost: Adult £37.00, under 16 £22.00
For more information or to make a booking, please send a message via the enquiry form.
Make an Enquiry Now
- Watch the sea eagles soar
- See the red deer rut
- Red deer photo safaris
- look for Scotland's "Big Five"
- Enjoy spectacular scenery
- Visit Glencoe and Glen Nevis
- See Ben Nevis
- Glen Nevis Caravan & Camping ParkOur award-winning caravan and camping park is set in the midst of spectacular Highland scenery at the foot of Ben Nevis. Explore Glen Nevis on the many footpaths that wind through forests and alongside the River Nevis or relax on our park and enjoy the views and fresh mountain air. We manage a peaceful park with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and pride ourselves in the quality of our infrastructure, facilities...
- Torlinnhe Guest HouseAndy and Sue Keen would be delighted to welcome you to Torlinnhe, for an exceptional bed and breakfast experience in Fort William. Our guests’ comfort and enjoyment is our top priority! Right from the moment you call us to enquire you will find us friendly and welcoming. On arrival, relax a while after your journey, settle in our comfortable lounge and enjoy the spectacular views of Loch Linnhe and the mountains...
- Ben View CottageSituated directly in front of Ben Nevis, Ben View Cottage is where Jennifer's forbears made their home after being evicted from the Loch Arkaig area during the Highland Clearances. The house has changed considerably since those far-off days (early 1800's) Now a very comfortable 3 bedroom family home, it is the ideal base for a holiday in the West Highlands.We have just completed a major refurbishment of the cottage to provide...
You may be interested in
- Woody's Taxis Fort William29 Banff Crescent, Fort William, PH33 6TT
FROM THE BEN TO THE GLEN, AND EVERYWHERE IN BETWEEN. WE WILL TRANSPORT YOU IN SAFETY AND COMFORT.Based in Fort William, in the Scottish Highlands, our location provides an excellent base for walking, climbing and sight-seeing. Our comfortable taxis will get you to your destination safely and on time.We are available...
- The Willows Guest House, Fort WilliamThe Willows, Achintore Road, Fort William, PH33 6RQ
The Willows is a 3 star family run guest house situated by the shores of Loch Linnhe with views of the Ardgour hills. Located close to Fort William town centre it is approximately a 10 - 15 minute pleasant stroll along the gardens of Loch Linnhe to the restaurants, bars and shops. But for...
- Criost's Taxiupper achintore, fort william, PH336JX
I Just recently started an environmentally friendly private hire/ taxi and want to introduce ourselves to the corporate clients as our service is unique and different in our area. I also provide Special Transportation Services including sight-seeing city tours, and transportation for special events and weddings.English and Spanish speaking....
- Sleeps 5Cedar Lodge - Self Catering Cottage Fort WilliamWoodside, Tomacharich, Fort William, PH33 6SW
Cedar Lodge is one of the closest self catering places to Fort William's downhill mountain biking tracks and winter skiing/snowboarding at Nevis Range. We are also within 10 minutes of the Ben Nevis North Face car park, and 15 minutes from the Glen Nevis Visitor Centre where most people begin their...
- Highland Taxis26 carn dearg, Fort William, PH33 6QD
Highland Taxis Ltd are based in Fort William in the heart of Lochaber.Our position on the A82 means we are the perfect choice for providing transport to and from the main transport links in Glasgow and Edinburgh from anywhere in the Highlands As a small company our main goal is customer satisfaction...
- Sleeps 2The Waterfront - Luxury Self-catering Apartment17 Glenloch View, Achintore Road, PH33 6TZ
This luxury self catering apartment in Fort William is new to the market and is a delight. Located by the shore of Loch Linnhe, and a short walk into town, our "just for two" self catering accommodation makes a wonderful place to stay during a visit to Fort William. Partially open-plan...
- 1 Day Tours in the Highlands2 Macmillan Place, Caol, Fort William, PH33 7BL
A selection of Personalised Guided Day Tours of the Scottish Highlands and Islands. Highland Tours from Fort William, await you! We can take you to places you have always wanted to see - the land of Ben's, and Glen's, of wild Stag's and Golden Eagle's the highest mountains and the deepest...
- St Andrews Guest HouseFassifern Road, Fort William, PH33 6BD
Only minutes from Fort William town centre and within walking distance of the train station and bus stance, St Andrews House is a wonderful, Victorian building and home to the Wynne Family. Originally the rectory and Choir School for St Andrews Church, which can be seen from the house.St Andrews provides...
- Airds Hotel & Restaurant - Luxury Boutique HotelThe Airds Hotel and Restaurant, Port Appin, Appin, PA38 4DF
The Airds Hotel & Restaurant is a romantic luxury boutique hotel located in the stunning hamlet of Port Appin, near Oban, Argyll, situated on the shore of Loch Linnhe with the Morvern mountains behind, on the West Coast of Scotland in the Scottish Highlands. This luxury hotel has one of the best reputations in...
- Lochy Holiday ParkCamagheal, Fort William, PH33 7NF
Woodbury Lodges - suitable for up to 4 persons maximum (including babies). The Lodges are superbly built and insulated. They come with colour television, dvd player, gas water heater, hob oven and grill, fridge, living flame gas fire in lounge area, electric panel heating in bedrooms and lounge area, microwave oven,...
- Sleeps 4Fordon Self Catering ApartmentFordon, Badabrie, Fort William, PH33 7LX
Fordon Self Catering Apartment is both modern and fully equipped while still being cosy and comfortable allowing a peaceful and tranquil break. Fordon has stunning panoramic views of Ben Nevis and Aonach Mhor with the town of Fort William and Loch Linnhe situated below and the Caledonian Canal nearby. While being...
- Clan Macduff HotelAchintore Road, Fort William, PH33 6RW
The Clan Macduff is a friendly, family run hotel sitting right on the banks of the picturesque Loch Linnhe. We are just 5 minutes' drive from Fort William and 10 minutes drive from Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in Britain. Originally built in 1965, the hotel has always belonged to our family....
- Gowan Brae HouseUnion Road, Fort William, PH33 6RB
A warm highland welcome awaits you at Gowan Brae which was built at the turn of the 20th century and is situated on the hillside above the town overlooking Loch Linnhe and the Treislaig Hills. We offer two double ensuite rooms and one twin room with private facilities.An extensive breakfast menu...
- Alba Ben View Holiday CottageHigh View, Spean Bridge, PH34 4EG
Our self catering cottage is located just past the Commando Monument above the village of Spean Bridge - about 10 miles from Fort William town centre and Ben Nevis - a pleasant 20 minute journey. The cottage sits in its own grounds, next to the owners accommodation with superb uninterrupted views...
- Sleeps 5Bed & Breakfast, Fort William - a view with a viewWoodside , Tomacharich, Fort William, PH33 6SW
Fort William short breaks and weekend breaks are available all year round. A MARVELLOUS view awaits when you book and stay at our excellent B&B in Fort William.VACANCIES THIS WEEK - 28-30th - please call to book before our rooms are gone - 01397 705897 OR 07760 166 970 - Rooms £70 per...
- Ambrose Gillham11 Seaview Terrace, , Fort William, Fort William, PH33 6RG
This is a large and comfortable apartment with great views in a very convenient quiet location close to the town centre. It is ideal for a family group or group of friends for a relaxed break or to explore the Highlands of Scotland.The beautiful Cow Hill Circuit which gives access directly...
- Sleeps 4Luxury Cottages in Fort WilliamAchintore Road, Fort William, PH33
A Highland Cottage, redesigned and refurbished to the highest standard, yet retaining so much character combined with luxury self catering accommodation. West Lodge Self Catering has luxury bedrooms and sumptuous bathrooms. With lovely views over Loch Linnhe and adjacent to the road South it is a short distance to Fort William....
- Moorings HotelBanavie , Fort William, PH33 7LY
Celebrated as one of the most popular hotels in Fort William, the Moorings Hotel is a hidden gem, located just five minutes drive from Fort William town centre but a million miles away from every day hustle and bustle.Situated on the banks of the Caledonian Canal at the famous Neptune’s staircase...
- Sleeps 28Kilcamb Lodge Hotel & RestaurantKilcamb Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, Strontian, Acharacle, PH36 4HY
Kilcamb Lodge Hotel is a small, luxury Country House Hotel, breathtakingly situated on the shores of loch Sunart in 22 acres of natural meadow and woodland, where otters and red deer are daily visitors. Close to Fort William and all its outdoor amenities, Ardnamurchan is one of the most un-spoilt regions...