Wild West - wildlife safari trips
Wild West offer a selection of wildlife experiences based in the Lochaber area. See Scotland's " Big Five", Photograph red deer, join a searchlight safari to look for the elusive pine marten or a dawn safari to see lekking black grouse, or book your own bespoke safari and we will tailor it to your requirements. The following is a selection of safaris available with Wild West.
The Big Five
Scotland’s big five of golden eagle, red deer, red squirrel, otter and harbour seal can all be found within 25 miles of Fort William and on this safari it’s possible to see them all on the same day.
The Wednesday trip includes a 2 hour cruise on Loch Shiel, taking you into the heart of some of Scotland’s wildest country. Cruises/boat trips can be included in full day safaris on other days, by request.
- Wednesday trip with cruise. Adults £85.00, Child £50.00
- Other days, no cruise Adults £69.00 Child £42.00
Wild West guide Ian MacLeod is an experienced semi professional photographer. Red deer photo safaris are a speciality with groups of deer gathering close to the roads in quiet glens over the winter, with spectacular backdrops. Safaris to photograph other species, or landscapes can also be arranges. All photo safaris are offered on a private basis.
Cost: £40.00 per hour, minimum of four hours
Below are a selection of photography safaris available from Wild West:
In winter the huge herds of red deer in the highlands descend from the high tops to the glens to seek shelter from the severe weather at high altitude. Many of the estates provide supplementary feeding for the animals, ensuring their survival and maintaining strong populations. This attracts the deer to return regularly to given locations. Your guide Ian MacLeod knows all the best spots not only to find and photograph the deer but also to ensure the best backdrops and light for given locations.
For those just looking for a taster in wildlife watching close to their base Wild West offer a selection of half day trips to various destinations around Fort William and Lochaber. We’ll recommend the best 1/2day trip for you and your party based on season, recent wildlife activity and where you are staying to give you the best experience for your short trip. Trips last 3.5 - 4 hours
Cost: Adult £37.00, under 16 £22.00
Below is a selection of short safaris available with Wild West:
From late September until the end of October one of the highlights of the wildlife calendar, the red deer rut takes place. During this period the stags compete to mate with groups of hinds in a testosterone charged spectacle. Rut safaris are available daily throughout this period with the option of a dawn trip to catch the best of the action.
Red deer can be found on the mountains of Scotland throughout the year and on these trips we’ll be looking for the UK’s largest land mammal. In the summer months they are high up in the mountains however it is a rare trip that we can’t find a few animals in the high corries.
Whether you want to pursue species on a target list, celebrate a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary, photograph a specific species or location or simply benefit from a lower rate for a group, a Wild West bespoke trip is for you. Any of the trips listed on the site can be booked as a Bespoke trip, or you can tailor your own. Bespoke trips normally include collection from local accommodation. Supplementary charge may apply if collection from further afield is required.
Cost: £40.00 per hour, minimum of four hours
As the sun goes down the creatures of the night awake to hunt and forage in the darkness. The main target of this trip is that most elusive of Scottish mammals the pine marten. We’ll also go looking for bats, red and roe deer as well as owls. Before the sun disappears, otters may be active at the river mouth and at certain times of year we can expect to find black grouse lekking in the evening.
Cost: Adult £37.00, under 16 £22.00
For more information or to make a booking, please send a message via the enquiry form.
Make an Enquiry Now
- Watch the sea eagles soar
- See the red deer rut
- Red deer photo safaris
- look for Scotland's "Big Five"
- Enjoy spectacular scenery
- Visit Glencoe and Glen Nevis
- See Ben Nevis
- Torlinnhe Guest HouseAndy and Sue Keen would be delighted to welcome you to Torlinnhe, for an exceptional bed and breakfast experience in Fort William. Our guests’ comfort and enjoyment is our top priority! Right from the moment you call us to enquire you will find us friendly and welcoming. On arrival, relax a while after your journey, settle in our comfortable lounge and enjoy the spectacular views of Loch Linnhe and the mountains...
- Glengarry Castle HotelGlengarry Castle Hotel is a comfortable country house hotel with a jewel of a setting on the shores of Loch Oich, which lies between Loch Ness and Loch Lochy at the heart of the Great Glen in the Highlands of Scotland.Glengarry Castle Hotel is a 4 star scottish accommodation offering great comfort and service to our guests. We are central for touring the Scottish Highlands to Inverness, Ben Nevis, Fort William,...
- The Waterfront - Luxury Self-catering ApartmentThis luxury self catering apartment in Fort William is new to the market and is a delight. Located by the shore of Loch Linnhe, and a short walk into town, our "just for two" self catering accommodation makes a wonderful place to stay during a visit to Fort William. Partially open-plan the holiday accommodation comprises an airy sitting room with leather settees and maple flooring.There's a breakfast bar and the stylish...
You may be interested in
- Lochview GuesthouseHeathercroft Road, Fort William, PH33 6EZ
Lochview Guesthouse sits in a hillside location within mature gardens, enjoying exceptional views across Loch Linnhe towards the Ardgour Hills. It is ideally located for Fort William town centre which is a 10 minute walk away. There are many activities to enjoy from Lochview Guest house including the Jacobite steam train,...
- Bluebell Croft - Honeysuckle House and Rose CottageStrontian, By Acharacle, Ardnamurchan, Highlands, PH36 4JA
Honeysuckle House (sleeps 8+) and Rose Cottage (sleeps 2-4) are 5 star and were described in the Sunday Times as one "of the Best Cosy Cottages in the UK" and as a 'Heavenly cottage.. and the best sited hot tub in Europe'. The house and cottage have been designed with every...
- Highland Aerial Photography and VideoWoodside, Tomacharich, Fort William, PH33 6SW
From my base in Fort William I offer an aerial photography and video filming service throughout Scotland and in particular, the Highlands of Scotland. Digital Studio Aerial Photography and Video has been in business for more than 25 years working as a professional photographer. As a fully insured and qualified BNUC-s pilot with CAA...
- Ardlinnhe Bed & BreakfastAchintore Road, Fort William, PH33 6RQ
Ardlinnhe offers a unique experience for visitors to Fort William. We have a superb location facing Loch Linnhe and three quality ensuite bedrooms to ensure your stay is a very comfortable one. With lots of private parking and only a 5 minutes walk along the lochside into the town centre, it...
- Sleeps 26Calluna - Self Catering apartments and bunkhouseCalluna, Connochie Road, Fort William, PH33 6JX
Ben Nevis mountain country - Calluna self catering apartment(s) in Fort William are perfect for walkers, climbers and outdoor people. Welcome to Calluna, self-catering accommodation in the heart of the beautiful Scottish Highlands. Located above the west coast town of Fort William beneath Ben Nevis, Britain's highest mountain. Calluna provides the ideal self-catering base...
- House of Clan Jamfrie - whisky, art, gifts129 High street, Fort William, PH33 6DG
One of Fort William's specialist retail gift shops - we have lots of quality souvenirs and a great selection of Scotch whisky - in miniature bottles, which make great gifts. Our art gallery has a selection of Highland paintings and photographs both framed or unframed. We have lots of quality Highland...
- Sleeps 4Luxury Cottages in Fort WilliamAchintore Road, Fort William, PH33
A Highland Cottage, redesigned and refurbished to the highest standard, yet retaining so much character combined with luxury self catering accommodation. West Lodge Self Catering has luxury bedrooms and sumptuous bathrooms. With lovely views over Loch Linnhe and adjacent to the road South it is a short distance to Fort William....
- Gowan Brae HouseUnion Road, Fort William, PH33 6RB
A warm highland welcome awaits you at Gowan Brae which was built at the turn of the 20th century and is situated on the hillside above the town overlooking Loch Linnhe and the Treislaig Hills. We offer two double ensuite rooms and one twin room with private facilities.An extensive breakfast menu...
- Alltonside Guest HouseALLTONSIDE GUEST HOUSE, ACHINTORE ROAD, FORT WILLIAM, PH33 6RW
Alltonside is a modern 3 star guest house situated just over a mile from Fort William town centre. It commands fabulous views over Loch Linnhe and the hills beyond. We offer you a comfortable and friendly stay. Each of our six ensuite letting rooms is kept to a high standard with...
- Lapwing Rise Self Catering AccommodationLapwing Rise, Fort William, PH33 7LX
Situated on a working croft just over 3 miles from Fort William this bright and spacious self catering bungalow sleeps up to 7 persons and enjoys wonderful views over the Caledonian Canal to Ben Nevis and the Aonach Mor ski slopes.This holiday home is enclosed within its own garden and the...
- Braeburn GuesthouseBraeburn, Corpach, Fort William, PH33 7LX
John and Julie Mackin look forward to welcoming you to our spacious and beautifully appointed home, where your comfort in our Fort William B&B is always our top priority. Braeburn is a family run house set in its own grounds with beautiful views of Loch Linnhe and the Ardgour Hills.All of our...
- Glen Nevis Caravan & Camping ParkGlen Nevis, Fort William, PH33 6SX
Our award-winning caravan and camping park is set in the midst of spectacular Highland scenery at the foot of Ben Nevis. Explore Glen Nevis on the many footpaths that wind through forests and alongside the River Nevis or relax on our park and enjoy the views and fresh mountain air. We...
- Old Harbour Master's Self Catering ApartmentUpper Braeside, Fassifern Road, Fort William, PH33 6QX
Conveniently located in Fort William town centre, with great views overlooking Loch Linnhe, this large self catering apartment in Fort William can accommodate up to 8 people. All amenities are provided and included in the price. There is plenty of parking and the local shops, pubs and restaurants are minutes away. Take...
- Woody's Taxis Fort William29 Banff Crescent, Fort William, PH33 6TT
FROM THE BEN TO THE GLEN, AND EVERYWHERE IN BETWEEN. WE WILL TRANSPORT YOU IN SAFETY AND COMFORT.Based in Fort William, in the Scottish Highlands, our location provides an excellent base for walking, climbing and sight-seeing. Our comfortable taxis will get you to your destination safely and on time.We are available...
- Torlundy HouseHappy Valley, Torlundy, Fort William, PH33 6SN
Torlundy House is a family run Guest House located in the rural settlement of Torlundy some 3 miles (5 kilometers) from Fort William in the Highlands of Scotland. Your hosts, Michael and Maxean, have been providing B&B for 14 years in Torlundy.We have lived in Torlundy for nearly 15 years now...
- Lochaber Lodges - self catering holiday Fort WilliamMoy Farm, Banavie, Fort William, PH33 7PD
Our high quality timber lodges are located in the Great Glen by The Caledonian Canal, about 20 minutes from Fort William town centre. The views of Ben Nevis and the Grey Corries are magnificent! We offer a choice of 12 very comfortable log-built lodges - some perfect for two or four...
- The Byre Holiday CottageWhinknowe, Banavie, Fort William, PH33 7PB
A spacious four star cottage with one of the best views in Britain. Sleeps 4 or 5. Situated on the sunnier side of the Great Glen, it offers instant access to traffic free local walks with village amenities close at hand. Sited on a working croft. Over 50% of guests are repeat...
- Off Beat Bikes117 High Street, Fort William, PH33 6DG
Discover the best of Fort William by bike! Book a quality mountain bike to enjoy great off road routes suitable for all ages and abilities.Call in to the shop on the High Street, Fort William or book online.Lots of cycle, running and outdoor swimming clothing in store along with friendly staff...