Wild West - wildlife safari trips
Wild West offer a selection of wildlife experiences based in the Lochaber area. See Scotland's " Big Five", Photograph red deer, join a searchlight safari to look for the elusive pine marten or a dawn safari to see lekking black grouse, or book your own bespoke safari and we will tailor it to your requirements. The following is a selection of safaris available with Wild West.
The Big Five
Scotland’s big five of golden eagle, red deer, red squirrel, otter and harbour seal can all be found within 25 miles of Fort William and on this safari it’s possible to see them all on the same day.
The Wednesday trip includes a 2 hour cruise on Loch Shiel, taking you into the heart of some of Scotland’s wildest country. Cruises/boat trips can be included in full day safaris on other days, by request.
- Wednesday trip with cruise. Adults £80.00, Child £48.00
- Other days, no cruise Adults £65.00 Child £40.00
Wild West guide Ian MacLeod is an experienced semi professional photographer. Red deer photo safaris are a speciality with groups of deer gathering close to the roads in quiet glens over the winter, with spectacular backdrops. Safaris to photograph other species, or landscapes can also be arranges. All photo safaris are offered on a private basis.
Cost: £40.00 per hour, minimum of four hours
Below are a selection of photography safaris available from Wild West:
In winter the huge herds of red deer in the highlands descend from the high tops to the glens to seek shelter from the severe weather at high altitude. Many of the estates provide supplementary feeding for the animals, ensuring their survival and maintaining strong populations. This attracts the deer to return regularly to given locations. Your guide Ian MacLeod knows all the best spots not only to find and photograph the deer but also to ensure the best backdrops and light for given locations.
For those just looking for a taster in wildlife watching close to their base Wild West offer a selection of half day trips to various destinations around Fort William and Lochaber. We’ll recommend the best 1/2day trip for you and your party based on season, recent wildlife activity and where you are staying to give you the best experience for your short trip. Trips last 3.5 - 4 hours
Cost: Adult £35.00, under 16 £21.00
Below is a selection of short safaris available with Wild West:
From late September until the end of October one of the highlights of the wildlife calendar, the red deer rut takes place. During this period the stags compete to mate with groups of hinds in a testosterone charged spectacle. Rut safaris are available daily throughout this period with the option of a dawn trip to catch the best of the action.
Red deer can be found on the mountains of Scotland throughout the year and on these trips we’ll be looking for the UK’s largest land mammal. In the summer months they are high up in the mountains however it is a rare trip that we can’t find a few animals in the high corries.
Whether you want to pursue species on a target list, celebrate a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary, photograph a specific species or location or simply benefit from a lower rate for a group, a Wild West bespoke trip is for you. Any of the trips listed on the site can be booked as a Bespoke trip, or you can tailor your own. Bespoke trips normally include collection from local accommodation. Supplementary charge may apply if collection from further afield is required.
Cost: £40.00 per hour, minimum of four hours
As the sun goes down the creatures of the night awake to hunt and forage in the darkness. The main target of this trip is that most elusive of Scottish mammals the pine marten. We’ll also go looking for bats, red and roe deer as well as owls. Before the sun disappears, otters may be active at the river mouth and at certain times of year we can expect to find black grouse lekking in the evening.
Cost: Adult £35.00, under 16 £21.00
For more information or to make a booking, please send a message via the enquiry form.
Make an Enquiry Now
- Watch the sea eagles soar
- See the red deer rut
- Red deer photo safaris
- look for Scotland's "Big Five"
- Enjoy spectacular scenery
- Visit Glencoe and Glen Nevis
- See Ben Nevis
- Bistro at the AlexThe Bistro at the Alex is a great family restaurant located within the Alexandra Hotel in Fort William's town centre. We have a good menu with something to suit everyone. The restaurant is bright and airy with a friendly table service. We have a large restaurant and can cater for large groups of walkers with a little advance notice.We serve food until 22:00 hours every day and also provide an early breakfast...
- Ambrose GillhamThis is a large and comfortable apartment with great views in a very convenient quiet location close to the town centre. It is ideal for a family group or group of friends for a relaxed break or to explore the Highlands of Scotland.The beautiful Cow Hill Circuit which gives access directly to Glen Nevis is a ten minute walk away. Fort William is a popular centre for climbing, walking, scrambling, canoeing,...
- Kinchellie CroftKinchellie Crort provides extremely good value of money self catering holiday accommodation at the same time as offering an excellent standard of log cabins and cottages. We are located in Roy Bridge and perfect for groups looking for a good location for outdoor activities.Our three cottages sleep up to 6 people and the two log cabins sleep up to 4 persons.We are open all year round and available for weekly lets...
You may be interested in
- Inverskilavulin Lodges - self catering near Fort WilliamBanavie, Fort William, PH33 7PD
Our two Fort William holiday lodges, Beinn Loy and Beinn Bhan are the holiday accommodation for small families and couples. Our luxury two bedroom lodges nestling at the foot of one of Scotland's Corbett hills, are quite near the Caledonian canal and the Great Glen Way, and only 9 miles from...
- Coire Glas Guest HouseRoy Bridge Road, Spean Bridge, PH34 4EU
UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP - Please contact us directly for best offers and pricing, 20% winter discount on 3 or more nights - email Morven and Simon Hardiman: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44(0)1397 712272Bed and Breakfast, Spean Bridge, near Fort William.Coire Glas Guest House is situated at the edge of the Village of...
- Ardlinnhe Bed & BreakfastAchintore Road, Fort William, PH33 6RQ
Ardlinnhe offers a unique experience for visitors to Fort William. We have a superb location facing Loch Linnhe and three quality ensuite bedrooms to ensure your stay is a very comfortable one. With lots of private parking and only a 5 minutes walk along the lochside into the town centre, it...
- Lochy Holiday Camping and Touring ParkLochy Bridge, Fort William, PH33 7NF
Lochy Holiday Park's camping and touring park provides a peaceful riverside location with great views of Ben Nevis.We have separate pitches for tents, touring caravans and motorhomes with electric hook-up if required. The park has clean, well-maintained toilets and showers, a laundry and lots of parking. Our shop stocks basic essentials...
- Bluebell Croft - Honeysuckle House and Rose CottageStrontian, By Acharacle, Ardnamurchan, Highlands, PH36 4JA
Honeysuckle House (sleeps 8+) and Rose Cottage (sleeps 2-4) are 5 star and were described in the Sunday Times as one "of the Best Cosy Cottages in the UK" and as a 'Heavenly cottage.. and the best sited hot tub in Europe'. The house and cottage have been designed with every...
- Criost's Taxiupper achintore, fort william, PH336JX
I Just recently started an environmentally friendly private hire/ taxi and want to introduce ourselves to the corporate clients as our service is unique and different in our area. I also provide Special Transportation Services including sight-seeing city tours, and transportation for special events and weddings.English and Spanish speaking....
- Braeburn GuesthouseBraeburn, Corpach, Fort William, PH33 7LX
John and Julie Mackin look forward to welcoming you to our spacious and beautifully appointed home, where your comfort in our Fort William B&B is always our top priority. Braeburn is a family run house set in its own grounds with beautiful views of Loch Linnhe and the Ardgour Hills.All of our...
- Burnlea Bed and Breakfast Fort WilliamBurnlea, Achintore Road, Fort William, PH33 6RN
Burnlea bed and breakfast in Fort William has stunning, uninterrupted panoramic views over Loch Linnhe to the hills beyond and is just a mile's scenic walk from the shops, restaurants and pubs of Fort William. Free parking, free Wi-Fi, superb breakfasts; Highland hospitality at its best! Rooms from £79 - £110...
- Sleeps 5Cedar Lodge - Self Catering Cottage Fort WilliamWoodside, Tomacharich, Fort William, PH33 6SW
Cedar Lodge is one of the closest self catering places to Fort William's downhill mountain biking tracks and winter skiing/snowboarding at Nevis Range. We are also within 10 minutes of the Ben Nevis North Face car park, and 15 minutes from the Glen Nevis Visitor Centre where most people begin their...
- Crolinnhe Bed and BreakfastGrange Road, Fort William, PH33 6JF
A superb, secluded Guest House with it's own extensive gardens and elevated views overlooking Loch Linnhe. This lovingly restored Victorian villa is a haven in the West Highlands of Scotland. Crolinnhe is a 5-star establishment offering exceptional levels of comfort to guests and a warm welcome with an intimate and opulent...
- Sleeps 19The Lime Tree HotelAchintore Road, Fort William, PH33 6RQ
The Lime Tree in Fort William is a Small Hotel, Restaurant and high quality Art Gallery offering you unique accommodation in a convenient location in the Highlands of Scotland. Whether you choose to relax at The Lime Tree, enjoy the spectacular mountains and landscape, bag a Munro, tackle world championship mountain...
- Na Tighean Beaga - The Little HousesRoybridge, Inverness-shire, PH31 4AG
Since 1976 the Matheson Family have welcomed visitors to Na Tighean Beaga, our comfortable self catering bungalows and chalets in Roy Bridge, near Fort William The experience we have gained over the years will ensure a successful and enjoyable holiday for everyone in your family or party.The SiteSome 300 metres from...
- Achnacarry Steading Apartments - self catering holidaysAchnacarry Steading Apartments, Achnacarry Estate, Spean Bridge, PH344EJ
* Weekly and 3 nights from £95 per night * Please enquire on 01397712807 or book online for weekly prices Availability/special offers are displayed on our website home pageCheck our reviews @ http://www.achnacarry.com/self-catering-accommodation/search-to-review Welcome to Achnacarry Steading Apartments - superb self catering accommodation near Fort William - located on the ancestral home of the...
- St Anthonys Bed & BreakfastSt Anthonys, Argyll Road, Fort William, PH33 6LF
St Anthonys is a quiet, comfortable Fort William Bed & Breakfast situated in the middle of town in an elevated position giving lovely views over Loch Linnhe and the surrounding hills. We have 3 Double rooms and 1 Family Suite. All rooms are en-suite, with hospitality trays, hairdryers, flat screen tv/dvd players...
- HighwindsHighwinds, Torlundy , Fort William, PH33 6SW
Highwinds Bed and Breakfast is in the rural settlement of Torlundy 4 miles north of Fort William with superb views towards the North Face of Ben Nevis and across farmland to the hills beyond Loch Linnhe. We recently completed a full renovation to create a high standard of luxury En-Suite rooms...
- Alltonside Guest HouseALLTONSIDE GUEST HOUSE, ACHINTORE ROAD, FORT WILLIAM, PH33 6RW
Alltonside is a modern 3 star guest house situated just over a mile from Fort William town centre. It commands fabulous views over Loch Linnhe and the hills beyond. We offer you a comfortable and friendly stay. Each of our six ensuite letting rooms is kept to a high standard with...
- Lochview GuesthouseLochview Guesthouse, Bunree, Nr Onich, PH33 6SE
We have three spacious and luxurious rooms which all have king sized beds, modern, high quality bathrooms, and a comfortable seating area, where you will be served home baking with tea or coffee on arrival. Complimentary Wi-Fi is offered to all guests. Our two largest rooms share our stunning loch view, whilst the...
- The Willows Guest House, Fort WilliamThe Willows, Achintore Road, Fort William, PH33 6RQ
The Willows is a 3 star family run guest house situated by the shores of Loch Linnhe with views of the Ardgour hills. Located close to Fort William town centre it is approximately a 10 - 15 minute pleasant stroll along the gardens of Loch Linnhe to the restaurants, bars and shops. But for...
- Sleeps 2The Waterfront - Luxury Self-catering Apartment17 Glenloch View, Achintore Road, PH33 6TZ
This luxury self catering apartment in Fort William is new to the market and is a delight. Located by the shore of Loch Linnhe, and a short walk into town, our "just for two" self catering accommodation makes a wonderful place to stay during a visit to Fort William. Partially open-plan...